• insomniac_lemon@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I don’t want them to copy my brain. Wire it up directly, ideally in a toaster-sized body (that can connect to larger/different bodies) if such a machine has life support as robust/independent as organic (also nerves of course, if it’s contextual). Living in sea, space, or infrastructure would be cool, assuming AI doesn’t completely eliminate any purpose that might have.

And assuming tech like that could even outpace ecological collapse. Though I’d volunteer for beta testing like this+cryonics if they’d let me and it was not a corporate thing. If all they could do is just put my brain in a jar hooked to a network with non-meta VR, that might not be such a bad consolation prize if I met some interesting brains.

• KoboldCoterie@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This prospect always struck me as super dystopian. What’s in it for them? If a company is doing this, it’s got a for-profit motive, so what are they gaining? Presumably they’re using you to perform some function some percentage of the time - using your brainpower to solve some problem somewhere. But what laws govern this? It’d be a new thing, especially if you were beta testing it. Do you count as a human anymore, for the purpose of laws dictating what they can and can’t do with you? Even if you do, who’s going to go to court and fight for you? What if the funding on the project gets cut? What if they decide they’re done with keeping you hooked up to VR, and decide to just make you perform whatever service they’re using your brain for, 24/7, in perpetuity? What if you’re in pain, all the time, or arguably worse, what if they can make you experience pain if you don’t do what they tell you to do?

It’s fun to think about the utopian idea of being a brain in a jar with no responsibilities or physical maladies, existing in cyberspace forever, but the sad reality is, that isn’t the world we live in.