Baby knitting experts, I need your advice!

A friend of mine is pregnant, and asked if I could possibly do a new version of this old doll someone made for her when she was a baby.

Absolutely, happy to!

Except I have no idea what kind of yarn is both baby-friendly and also will last for 40 years like this one has.

I can probably make up a pattern, but if anyone knows one similar so I don’t have to that would also be amazing.

Pointers very welcome, thank you all!

#Knitting #Yarn @knitting

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.eeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

No moral objection here! That’s a really good tip on needle size, thanks, it makes a lot of sense. My husband has crocheted some small toys before but I’ve never really been into that side of things so it’s kind of a whole new world with whole new rules! 😄

• clockwork_octopus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I generally will use a good quality machine washable and dryable acrylic yarn for anything that is knit for a baby or child, since it’s easy to care for. Baby’s are cute but gross and will put everything in their mouths, and parents are generally sleep deprived, so I want an item to be as easy to care for as possible. They hold up to abuse, they don’t shrink, and the colors usually don’t bleed. Save the cashmere blends for yourself!

• weirdsquid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

So true! I’ve felted a couple of wool items over the past two years because I wasn’t paying attention… And modern acrylics are so soft! I went through my mom’s abandoned stash today and the acrylic yarns she had from the eighties. Were. So. Rough.

(To be clear: mom’s fine, just not knitting any more)