As quoted from the linked post.

It looks like you’re part of one of our experiments. The logged-in mobile web experience is currently unavailable for a portion of users. To access the site you can log on via desktop, the mobile apps, or wait for the experiment to conclude.

This is separate from the API issue. This will actually BLOCK you from even viewing reddit on your phone without using the official app.

Archive.org link in case the post is removed.

https://web.archive.org/save/https%3A%2F%2Fold.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fhelp%2Fcomments%2F135tly1%2Fhelpdid_reddit_just_destroy_mobile_browser_access%2Fjim40zg%2F

• VindianaJones@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Pretty disappointing to see something I’ve spent so much time with go down the tubes like this. I know that for a lot of people, Reddit has been dying for years, but I’ve stuck to old.reddit and my Android apps, and haven’t looked at /r/all in a long, long time. I unsubscribed from all of the big/default subreddits, and just hang out in my happy subs where people (mostly) are people and aren’t lunatics, and it’s still been a nice place.

Killing the mobile apps is pretty much the last straw for me. I’m sure I’ll still click on search results from Reddit sometimes, but I won’t be logged in anymore and it will only be on a browser with ad-blocking and privacy features. There is no way I’m downloading their app.

If they were to go this route for all users, I would simply never use Reddit again on my phone. And yes, I’m in the minority, and yes, I know they don’t care about losing me, but man, what a bummer.

• Dutczar@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The small videogame dedicated subs are the reason I’m still hesitant about leaving Reddit completely, but on the other hand, it would be entertaining to watch another big site burn lemmy grow, and it’s not like I contributed much besides occasional comments. I might browse by top every few months or so to see what I missed.

• thumbtack@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

niche hobby subs are absolutely why i suspect i’ll not truly be able to leave, unless they were to migrate to lemmy or somewhere else. though hopefully i’ll be able to move my general browsing here instead, it can be hard to find those same like minded people on a whole new platform :/

• Alatain@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I have put in a lot of time in some of the communities over there and would be sad to leave, but I refuse to continue to drive conversation and generate the content for a site that has such low regard for their users.

We’ll see how it develops, but I am sad to say that it looks like the writing is on the wall.