• Joe Bidet@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I thought the whole point of the Fediverse was to give ourselves the chance to define our own standards for interacting as society, through experimenting, and discussing, and finding rough consensus, etc…? ;)

I see your point, but yet I don’t give up. Admitting that “the world runs like this” is a self-reinforcing mental block to convince oneself that never will ever change and that there is therefore no point in even trying.

Maybe through discussing these things openly we could raise awareness and build consensus towards onboarding more people with the idea that a corporate brand logo is not just another funny brick to build images with, like the rest, but is something loaded with power, and a history of influence, and often exploitation, etc…? And that one is always serving the interests of this company by re-using their logo in whichever way? (as the cynical PR people say “there is no such thing as bad advertisement”…)

I would somehow react the same if the faces of important historic figures were used trivially, for instance. Even if the purpose is to make people laugh, it is worth reflecting about what images/symbols/powers we propagate…

Sorry for being that party-pooper here :)