• Deebster@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

This is closer to fair-use satire than advertising (although not that close to either). It’s funny because McD is somewhat opposite to the gym, and that’s not advertising for the golden arches.

• Joe Bidet@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I understand the alleged funniness in this, and am in favour of all sort of fair-use (and even unfair-use!) of copyrighted, patented and otherwise trademarked material…

My questioning here, is: aren’t we advertising for the golden arches by multiplying them on our own federated servers? In people’s brains which have been filled already with this logo from the day of birth, associating it with sugar+fat tastes that speak to the “hmmm! good” part of the brains… seeing this wouldn’t trigger a “hmmm! good” reaction, you think?

• Joe Bidet@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Well when it is 100% associated with a negative message, constructed in a political way that makes it obvious, then it’s rather different I’d say…

Also what Banksy did was not mainly with the logo, but with the mascot, an antropomorphised character representing the brand and puting it into a human situation…