First of all, big surprise, right? Stuck with it for now, though. Not sure if AMD is actually any better at this point, but that’s a problem for a different time.

So I’ve tried fedora now, (can list hardware later in post)and got it to install fine, did the system update, 4gb or so later, that’s good to go, so now I figure it’s time to get the GPU drivers working so I can make progress on making a daily driver out of this machine.

There’s a lot of conflicting information and alternate routes to go with the drivers as I’ve gone to see, so that’s confusing enough already.

So I’m on the KDE version of F38, since I would like to use Plasma.

I found and installed the “latest” dkms driver via cuda.

Haven’t made other changes at all yet.

But at this point, it black screens after the grub menu. If I use nomodeset I can access the system, but I’m stuck in 1024x768. This is obviously terrible, I have a GPU for a reason and I would like it to work. Before installing these drivers I could at least use native resolution and native refresh rate.

It’s defaulted to Wayland of course, which I hear can be another issue by itself, but I don’t know the pros and cons of it vs using X (or X11 it whatever is actually called). I also know the open drivers can have issues, but am not sure if they would be useful for me.

Relevant hardware: MSI MAG Z790 i7 13700K RTX 3070 Ti

So obviously these drivers don’t work for me, but I’m not sure what I need to do from here. Google got me this far, but there’s not a lot of mentioned of being forced to use nomodeset, and nothing relevant at all if how to get proper drivers installed properly.

I did add the RPM Fusion repo, but haven’t used it yet. Or at least the free one, can’t remember if I added the non free one yet.

Happy to find outputs of whatever you need, but I’m still very new to using a terminal, so I don’t know much about what I can do with it in general, much less what to do with it or try to look at in this specific case. I’ve picked up bits and pieces, but until I can get a working environment, learning is difficult.

• Sentau@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    vor 9 Monaten

I am also a newish user and am confused, what do you mean by found the nvidia drivers and installed then via CUDA¿? The nvidia are present in either in the official repos or the community repos. Also the package manager handles installs, how did you use cuda to install¿?

• Dotdev@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    vor 10 Monaten

The nvidia driver comes under the non-free one. The nvidia 510 driver would be the most suited one for you. The latest might be for the 4080 or the 4090. Here is the link.

• CameronDev@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    vor 10 Monaten

Prepackaged drivers are usually the way to go, the distro will have at least somewhat tested them. I havent used fedora in a long time, but the nvidia drivers from rpm fusion were fairly solid then, so i assume they are still good?

Downloading the driver directly from nvidia should be the last resort, all kinds of weirdness can happen.