FB Marketplace Scam. There’s a second where they get your phone number and send you a “confirmation” link which apparently will confirm you are changing an account over to them. Not sure what account, as my phone provider auto blocks these scam links.

This one is pretty stupid. Instead of venmo’ing the cash to their “relative” who is coming to my place to pick up the item. They expect me to accept the Venmo on my end, then wait 1-3 business days before actually being able to get the cash for the product. At which point there is no cash. They continually try the scam even when I say it’s cash only.

Also if you inspect these profiles they are generally one image and zero information. These are all from fake accounts which they delete /get banned periodically.

• Notbrad@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s so fucking frustrating, 3 out of 4 people who contact you via marketplace are doing some kind of scam, wasting everyone’s time

• AlphaOmega@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah, in the first few seconds of contact I know it’s a scammer. Asking questions about an item that are answered in the first paragraph - scammer, contacts you within seconds of the item going up for sale - scammer, just one picture and no info on FB Profile - scammer.

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Damn where do you live where everyone’s trying to scam you lol

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Alamogordo, NM - the thing is I don’t think there’s enough people here for them to be able to “hire” a relative to pick up the item as they claim they can do. At least not in the time frame they are claiming they can pick up the item. There’s only 30k people here.

• XanXic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Pretty sure there’s no way to cancel a venmo payment. Once it hits your account it’s there. Idk what 3 day thing you mean.

The only fishy thing with venmo is the “I sent a code” or saying “I sent it” and sending you a fake confirmation. Like unless it’s in your venmo account it’s not there but I don’t think there’s anyway to undo it. Otherwise what good is their service? It’s not like they can do a charge back. That’s why theft on venmo and similar apps is a big deal because they can’t/won’t “undo” it.

This isn’t like getting a direct ach payment/check to your bank or anything.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Not entirely sure how the scam works, since I’ve never gotten past this part of the scam. But according to Venmo it takes 1-3 Business days for the money to be in your bank account. So maybe the scam is that they are spoofing “confirmation of payment” or something. Not sure how that would work. I assumed this was a “I never received the item, please refund my money” type of scam.

• empireOfLove@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

They likely make deposits into Venmo using stolen cards, make their payments using that, then when the card gets charged back by its legitimate owner, Venmo pulls your transaction before it makes it to your bank account and leaves you SOL.