I was playing some Everspace 2 and while it sure is pretty and feels pretty good there was something lacking that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I’m only 20 hours or so into it but I just felt like it wasn’t quite living up to my memories of Freelancer.

Now I last played Freelancer over 15 years ago so I was sure that I was just seeing this through a heavy mist of nostalgia, so I reinstalled the old game, installed the HD mod and a few other user made tweaks and loaded it up. The opening scenes were definitely nostalgic but once I started to fly missions properly again it became crystal clear, nope Freelancer still kicks the shit out of every other space game I’ve ever played since.

Elite Dangerous, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Everspace 2, Spacebourne 2, EVE Online, Chorus they all have strengths but nothing feels as good as the grand daddy Freelancer.

• dorkian-gray@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Can I offer you some Star Sector (https://fractalsoftworks.com) in these trying times? It’s a top-down view with more real-time strategy and RPG to it than first person space sim, but the exploration component is there in spades and scavenging ships to add them to your fleet is pretty fun and satisfying. I’ve been playing it obsessively the last few weeks.

I didn’t know about the secret exploration stuff in Freelancer, I never found wormholes or what have you. Might have to load it back up! Or the FOSS version “LibreLancer”, thanks to all who commented so far for mentioning that 😊

• Sordid@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Eh, Starsector is a very different kind of game. And I don’t just mean the fact that it’s top-down 2D, it’s much more of a management game. Freelancer is very aptly named - you’re just one guy in one space fighter doing your thing. It’s a space shooter first and foremost. If you try to play Starsector that way, you’re going to hit an impenetrable wall very quickly. You need a fleet, and the larger your fleet, the less significant your own personal contributions in battle. But the game also limits your ability to command your fleet pretty severely, so the further you progress, the more your agency shrinks to just moving around on the map between combat encounters that mostly play themselves. I can’t recommend Starsector to… well, anyone, to be honest.

• falsem@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The player ship is by far the most effective ship in combat - trying to go full hands of doesn’t work either. It’s basically Mount and Blade in space. The end result is you get to take part in large space battles pretty consistently where you’re the star.