• Blue and Orange@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Should we ever discover real aliens, I’m confident they won’t look like the stereotypical little green men that humanity has portrayed them as in popular culture for decades.

• Aldehyde@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

If we find aliens, they almost certainly won’t look like any organism on earth, because they would have evolved independently.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Turtles I think too. Either way, probably not humanoid. Maybe similar to other things on earth, assuming they evolved in a similar situation.

• li10@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I always think something jellyfish like would be most likely, if I had to picture something like creatures we know

• Harpsist@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

That’s why they made them that way. Possible deniability.

Next you’re gonna say the government wouldn’t ever intentionally infect 1000000s of thousands of people with a virus and then spend decades studying the untreated ailments of it.

Or bombing their own towns.

Or mowing down with assault machine guns their own population. Or poisoning their own drinking water.

• unphazed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Most likely the first evidence of extraterrestrial life will be mechanical (IE rovers, drones, landers) as they can survive indefinitely in space and are at the least risk of damage from the environment.

• BastingChemina@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I could imagine that something like the slime mold could be an alien.

Single-celled amoebae can remember, make decisions and anticipate change, urging scientists to rethink intelligent behavior.

They are one of the oldest organism on planet (almost a billion years old) they have no brain but are able to plan, anticipate, remember and even share information. We can find them a bit everywhere on the planet and yet barely anyone knows about them.

If you ever encounter one they love oatmeal but hate salt.

• Duckef@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

This is gonna be the real challenge in 1000 years, historians deciphering what ayy lamos are.

• li10@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

That’s obviously an alien!

It looks exactly like they do in the movies.

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Mummies can look pretty weird, and you’d assume an alien mummy might be even weirder, so I don’t judge anyone that saw it and thought “let’s see what the lab results say.”

• Unaware7013@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Didn’t this same person previously bring forward an ‘alien’ that turned out to be a mummified human? Who would have guessed the new alien wasn’t legit

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Mexican journalist José Jaime Maussan presented two boxes with supposed mummies found in Peru, which he and others consider “non-human beings that are not part of our terrestrial evolution.”

In 2017, Maussan made similar claims in Peru, and a report by the country’s prosecutor’s office found that the bodies were actually “recently manufactured dolls, which have been covered with a mixture of paper and synthetic glue to simulate the presence of skin.”

On Wednesday, Julieta Fierro, researcher at the Institute of Astronomy at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, was among those to express skepticism, saying that many details about the figures “made no sense.”

Congressman Sergio Gutiérrez Luna of the ruling Morena party, made it clear that Congress has not taken a position on the theses put forward during the more than three-hour session.

Grusch’s highly anticipated testimony before a House Oversight subcommittee was the U.S. Congress’ latest foray into the world of UAPs — or “unidentified aerial phenomena,” which is the official term the U.S. government uses instead of UFOs.

Democrats and Republicans in recent years have pushed for more research as a national security matter due to concerns that sightings observed by pilots may be tied to U.S. adversaries.

The original article contains 678 words, the summary contains 202 words. Saved 70%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!