• GreatGrapeApe@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

No this is not a bad faith argument. It is in fact exactly why this situation continues. You might not like the reality if the situation but that does not mean I am arguing in bad faith.

Accusing people of being bootlickers because they do not see things as you do is in bad faith because it is an attempt to write off what people say without any logical reason to do so. It us a form of ad hominem.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The bad faith part is how you pick and choose your words carefully to describe strong arming other nations into your own embargo.

I’m calling you a bootlicker because you have decided all on your own to be the spokesperson for people that are clearly in the wrong who have their boot layed across not only your neck but the necks of most of the world, while saying “I don’t support the embargo”. Well if you don’t, why are you defending it and being part of the problem?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s not bad faith. I believe that nations should have the right to determine who they trade with and under what circumstances. I totally get Iran not wanting t trade with people who arm their enemies. I’d get Taiwan deciding to restrict the sale of microchips to nations that would purchase them on China’s behalf. It is an entirely logical way to go about functioning as a nation.

What I do not support is the Cuban embargo since the fall if the USSR as Cuba cannot in any way pose a threat to America without significant military assistance that no one can provide.

There are two different things going on in this discussion and I would respectfully ask you to pay attention that fact and avoid incivility as it is unjustified.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

The US is forcing other countries not to trade with Cuba, hence taking away their right to determine who they trade with.

You bring up Taiwan, but its a lot more poignant to flip your example and ask if it would be okay for China to stop all trade with any nations that trades with Taiwan.

I don’t need to be civil with someone that’s arguing in bad faith. You are for the embargo since you are actively defending it. Just your use of Taiwan and China, somehow comparing the US to Taiwan and China to Cuba is a play on emotions. Cuba isn’t Goliath.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

No the USA is attempting to get others to restrict trade if they want to trade with the USA.

Yes it would be fair for China to do this and they in fact do raise this from time to time.

Again Im not arguing in bad faith you just keep resorting to that claim because you lack the ability to address my claim. Your lack of reasoning skills does not justify acting rudely.