Please forgive me…I’m over 30 and was never a clubber.

In a number of songs, women “get low”. In “Low”:

Shawty got low low low low low low low low

In “Belly Dancer”, they drop down and touch the ground;

Hey, ladies drop it down, just want to see you touch the ground

You ain’t even gotta drop down if you want to

What activity is being described here? What are these women doing?

• cabhanOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Hah, I do know what twerking is, but I never associated it with this phrase. A follow-up: are you actually touching the ground? What body part is touching the ground?

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Yes, they touch the ground. Proper twerking requires a big butt and proper attire. According to some women I knew back then, there’s a science to it. Even the underwear selection came into play according to them. The flesh of the ass needs to have travel above and beyond what the hips are doing. So, for lack of better imagery, some VERY skilled women could squat real low and basically dribble their butt cheeks on the ground. I’ve only seen one person do that live in front of me and everyone was losing their shit. It was incredible. She could make one cheek hit the floor then the other. Left right left right…like dribbling two basketball really fast.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify that the bounce gave the illusion that the cheeks were touching the ground, so as far as I’m concerned they were. From my angle they definitely looked like they were bouncing but they could have been a couple of inches from the ground. I didn’t physically check as I was not an idiot with a death wish.

• planish@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

“Excuse me ma’am, please keep doing your cool dance move, I just gotta check something reeeeal quick…”

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

You’d be surprised how many dipshits do stupid things and are subsequently surprised by the immediate consequences of their own actions.