After witnessing one of the most successful RPG releases in recent history, Diablo 4 seems to have lost all its viewership online. Being Blizzard’s highest-sold game ever, many expected the fourth installment in the Diablo 4 franchise to prosper, but instead, Diablo 3 has surpassed it suddenly.

On June 6, Diablo 4 was released worldwide as the game sold more than 10 million copies within 3 days of launch. This made it Blizzard’s highest-selling game of all time. However, it seems like the game continues to lose traction, losing more than 90% of its viewership since its June launch.

Rather Diablo 3 has surpassed its successor, even though it was released 11 years ago. With its new Season 29, Diablo 3 now sits at a weekly average of 3,000 viewers on Twitch with a peak of 5,600 viewers on September 17. For context, Diablo 4 has a weekly average of 940 viewers at the time of writing.

Diablo 4 saw a peak viewership of 940,000 at the time of its release, ten times more than Diablo 3 ever achieved. However, it has lost almost 99% of its peak viewership and sits at a weekly average of 940 on Twitch.

• sadbehr@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Something to keep in mind is that a new season of D3 has recently come out (more interest) while D4 hasn’t had anything in a while (less interest). These two things will be bumping the numbers.

P.S I’m a long time PoE and formerly D3player. I’m stoked I didn’t buy into D4. If anyone hasn’t tried it yet, a D4 YouTuber called Darth Microtransactions described PoE as ‘everything I wanted in D4 but more and free’.

• bhj 🦥@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Oh fuck, is PoE supposed to be free? I’ve spent like $1000 on it in the last 10 years in cosmetics, stash tabs, and character slots.

• sadbehr@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Haha money well spent supporting an independent studio from a little country at the bottom of the world made by a group of people who are legitimately passionate about the game!

Also just for fun $1k over 10 years = $100 a year. That’s not a bad amount imo! Also I’m guessing if you’ve spent that much money that you’ve spent an equally large amount of time playing!

• PM_ME_FEET_PICS@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Money well spent supporting a Chinese company that has ties to the Chinese government and known espionage.

GGG are a shell of what they were. Most of the key people have moved on to other studios.

• sadbehr@lemmy.nz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yep they’re owned by Tencent, however from what I’ve read, seen and experienced in game, Tencent don’t have much, if any, of an input on the development. Yes I know that Tencent staff sit on the board of GGG.

GGG did a rough patch a few years ago, I was out of the loop and not playing then, but it seems it’s made a fine comeback.

Lastly, if I’m not giving my money to a NZ company owned by Tencent (who I agree are very not cool), I’m most likely giving it to some equally bullshit, corrupt, money grabbing AAA developer in America so what’s the difference?

• bhj 🦥@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I have thousands of hours in the game. It’s one of my all time favorites!

The other commenter is unfortunately (partially) right and PoE is owned by Tencent. I haven’t noticed any quality drop though, I still think they are making a great game. I definitely haven’t spent as much money on it in the last few years though

• sadbehr@lemmy.nz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yea it is but it’s still made in New Zealand, and personally I suspect it was a way for them to break into the Chinese market, especially as Tencent facilitate online gaming services. I don’t have any proof of that, it’s just something I’ve thought about.