• molave@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Consider… what went wrong is that no one pushed back on Panel Two using the very same free marketplace of ideas.

Panel One: Fighting for everyone’s right to express themselves is fine. Good as it is.

Panel Two: Destroy the bigot’s arguments and describe to the public what society will be like if the bigot gets their way. Is that tolerating intolerance?

• Nurgle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Exactly. That’s how we were able to nip the whole global warming thing in the bud. Thank god rational arguments always prevail.

• zaph@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Panel Two: Destroy the bigot’s arguments and describe to the public what society will be like if the bigot gets their way. Is that tolerating intolerance?

I can’t believe no one thought of this. And here planned parenthood and the grieving families at funerals of vets have just been sitting by listening to the noise.

• kwking13@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Calling people out on their BS is the right line to draw for me personally, but I still want that person to have the right to express their opinion. We just need to teach people that it’s ok to be wrong as long as you can admit it and learn from it. No idea gets processed until pushed from an opposing party.

Sitting back and doing nothing teaches nothing. Calling it appalling and informing the person why they’re wrong is the right step toward change. But if you can’t say it in a way that makes them hear you, then you’re doomed to have the argument all over again.

• pinkdrunkenelephants@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

The past twenty years have demonstrated handily that logical debate simply does not work. What’s needed is the emotive/motivational form of argumentation that puts the speaker’s thoughts, beliefs, and intent at center stage and actually does work. Bonus points is that it works regardless of how well educated whoever you’re speaking to is so there’s no longer the educational barrier in place allowing meaningful conversation.

• PsychedSy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’d say that’s tolerating intolerance and is the right thing to do. Once they switch to violence though, remember you have a robust right to defend yourself, your community and your loved ones.