I am zeroing out some old drive - some may not have secure erase. If I issue the command:

hpparm --security-erase-enhanced

Against a drive that does not have this feature, will it error? Man does not tell me.

• Fryboyter
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

With the command hdparm -I /dev/sdX you can check if ATA Secure Erase is supported by the respective hard disk. If the output shows among others things supported: enhanced erase this is the case. Instead of sdX you must of course specify the respective hard disk.

Edit: You should run this command anyway to make sure that the hard disk in question is not frozen (https://archive.kernel.org/oldwiki/ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase.html#Step_1a_-_Ensure_the_drive_is_not_frozen:).

• WasPentalive@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Ok My drive does not have the feature - and took the hdparm --security-erase-enhanced without any error. I guess I will use dd then.

• WasPentalive@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Not in my case.

After I posted :
      I ran hdparm --security… and did not get an error.

Then I ran hpparm -I and found that the drive did not have the secure erase feature.

So I did not get the error on a drive that should have errored. I am guessing the Security Erase command just spews the appropriate command at the drive and nothing Is reported back.