The US Military Academy at West Point is being sued for its race-based admissions policies by the same group that won a landmark case against Harvard University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the Supreme Court over affirmative action earlier this year, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday.

• squirmy_wormy@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

They explained why redlining is bad and why “race norming” is bad, but all that isn’t connected to affirmative action (in the post).

Argument structure:

• affirmative action good
        • redline bad
        • race norming bad
        • qed, affirmative action good

There’s no link between the points. To be fair, I’m for affirmative action. Just that post doesn’t really say anything about it.

• InternetCitizen2@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Who is going to teach you to be a carpinter if your parents don’t know and the school doesn’t want you because you’re non-white? This also include preparation to attend that school. To break a cycle of poverty people need to be granted a chance to escape. Education is one path to give people tools.

• squirmy_wormy@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Again, I understand why affirmative action is a thing and why it’s good. My point is that the top level comment doesn’t actually answer why it’s a good thing. It doesn’t really make a coherent argument at all.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It forces corrections for racists doing harm to large groups of people.

If you couldn’t get that from that explanation, you weren’t paying attention.