I think that a Marxist society should allow for 0 proprietary software, and instead support for everything in free and open source decentralized technology.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m hearing lots of support for mint. Does it get updated still? I remember looking into one distro and then learned that it was no longer being maintained – one of the reasons why I didn’t look back into it till now.

My tech knowledge is fair, I’d say. I’m not too scared of breaking things, using terminal commands, or looking through the settings. It’s just that I’ve not needed to do much for a long time other than open word and a browser.

• Edward@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Mint is very much still being maintanied. And it’s a great distro, especially for beginners. You get the benefits of Debian (one of the oldest still maintained, very used, many programs are packaged for it), Ubuntu (one of the most used on the desktop/laptop, large company behind it, most (proprietary) software is written with it in mind), with great tools out of the box for a lot of stuff that makes it more beginner friendly and actually somewhat better on the desktop.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Ah, so some distros, like Ubuntu, are big enough that software companies, like Adobe but not necessarily Adobe, make compatible software? Any chance this includes Word, or is LibreOffice the go to word processor for Linux?

• GreatSquare@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I think Mint has LibreOffice included already.

If not, you have the Software Center app on Ubuntu and Mint. It’s like the Windows Microsoft Store: a GUI to browse for installable software.

3rd option is to install it from the command line

• Edward@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

No, it’s just than when/if some company makes software for “Linux”, some of the time Ubuntu is actually the only one they support.

Last I checked, still no Word (except in the browser), so LibreOffice is still the go to.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Ah, that’s clearer, thanks.

Well, detest word so I’ll be glad to use something else.