I think that a Marxist society should allow for 0 proprietary software, and instead support for everything in free and open source decentralized technology.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Is there a strong reason why someone would move away from a ‘beginner-friendly’ distro? Is it mainly wanderlust?

• relay@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m in debian because it uses less ram.

I’ve played with alpine linux for the wonderlust of seeing if I can work with all of the alternative smaller code bases for the theoretical stability it provides.

Why use bash when you can use ash?

Why use the unauthorized escalation bugs of sudo, when you can use doas?

Why use all of the gnu tools of stallman when you can use the smaller version of those tools with busybox?

Why use the garganuan sprawling systemd when openrc has a much smaller codebase and fewer vulnerabilities?

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I have to say I’m a fan of light (lite?) software.

I can’t tell you how pissed off I was when browsers switched to infinite ram. One day they were capped at using ~4gb ram and the next, I need a new machine.

In general, I just prefer the idea of only using enough resources to do what I need a program to do. Options are great, but e.g. with a word processor all I need is stability, footnotes, a few tags, grammar/spell check, and track changes. A few other features are nice to have but almost all the rest is unnecessary bloat and bugs, for me.

• relay@lemmygrad.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I was able to run LMDE (linux mint deiban edition) on a 3 gb Imac with libreoffice installed by default, I don’t know if I’d still reccomend that but it would freeze if I had too many tabs open

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I think my old laptop has 8gb ram. This is all assuming it turns on after five or six years!

• relay@lemmygrad.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

right now I have a 32 GB ram tower computer playing a small game, a crazy looking terminal emulator, a spreadsheet program and a browser and it’s still using less than 2 GB of ram. Debian cinnamon is good for me.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Impressive. Do you need a lot of ram nowadays to play games? Or do you have so much so you can play games at the same time as having other programs open?

• relay@lemmygrad.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

Depends on the game. I like playing 0ad and that never seems to use that many resources, but I haven’t checked much. Some steam games can be a bit more intense but 8gb should be fine for most games. Steam proton https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton offers a compatibility layer to play steam games as if they were in wine and works pretty good. I’m trying to game less so I stick to open source versions of pacman and tetris. I was playing rimworld but that shit was like cocaine to me. Rimworld runs fine on linux as well as windows. One thing I like to do is use “yt-dlp -f” to download playlists audio only from various sites, save them in a particular folder, then “cd” into that folder, then “mpv *” to play all of the audio files in that in the background. You can play minetest with the mineclone mod (to be similar to minecraft) while listening to various audiobooks podcasts and lectures that way.

8gb should be fine unless you are playing a AAA game, but if you already bought the games, you can try it out.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

Thanks.

Oh, so with Linux, you can run a command that downloads files from websites? That’s handy!

I’ve not bought any games for a good while and I usually buy older games. Although I do have my eye on three games that keep getting mentioned around here: Hearts of Iron 4, Victoria 3(?), and Disco Elysium. One day, maybe – part of it is finding the time!