I have been making do without an electric grinder for a while now and I have decided the time has come to get one back on the kitchen work surface. I usually make coffee with my aeropress or chemex, and sometimes grind coarsely for cold brew. I don’t have an espresso machine and while I could imagine myself dabbling with the weirder manual and stovetop espresso options out there, I know that I prefer the extraction from pourover so it would never be a Thing.

I am trying to decide between the Fellow Ode v2 and the Baratza Encore ESP. One the one hand I feel I can’t go wrong with a Baratza and the ESP would give me some extra flexibility. On the other hand, the Fellow Ode probably matches my coffee sensibilities perfectly. I can’t really see myself choosing other grinders because I have had a Baratza before in a former life and I know their customer service is amazing. It’s just those burrs on the Fellow Ode v2 that are tempting me. Any thoughts? Gotchas? Steers either way?

• rubikcuber@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m an espresso handgrinder sort of person, but I do know that the Ode 2 is pretty well thought of for pour over. If you aren’t doing espresso I don’t think you can go wrong with it. James Hoffman did a video review on his YouTube channel a few months back.

• rubikcuber@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Using a Kingrinder K4, which I believe shares burrs with the 1zpresso J-Max. Takes probably less than a minute to grind 18g of medium roast. Pretty happy with it. I think it has about 250 clicks, so lots of precision.