What is one thing you’d like to learn?

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I have some wrist issues from an old injury and honestly I find that what aggravates mine the most is just doing any one particular thing too repetitively. So I flit around between crochet, knitting and cross stitch for the variety of movement.

There are things you can do crochet-wise though, for example you’ll mostly see people flicking the wrist of their hand that holds the hook, but if mine is playing up I’ll wedge my elbow against something and keep that wrist as still as possible and just do all the movement with my other hand.

p.s. yes you can definitely use wool yarn but I’m not Canadian so can’t help with the other part of that 😄

• kat@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for the help! I see a lot of crochet people using cotton and synthetic yarns, maybe because the stitch has different flexibility than knit? I already adapted my knitting to continental which helps a lot, so I may just look into methods that adapt.

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Cotton and acrylic are great for things like amigurumi because you get better stitch definition, so they do tend to be popular. Still though the flexibility makes a difference too like you say, I knitted a top from linen yarn once and it just ruined my wrist.

• kat@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Thanks for all the help! I might just pick up a couple of cheap cotton yarns somewhere to practice crochet. Can’t stand the texture of acrylic, otherwise I’d hit up the dollar store. Still hunting for decent priced wool, we’ll see!