• fhqwgads@possumpat.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Few options:

Tree supports seem to deal with that kind of thing a lot better than standard supports. I would try turning them on and see how they generate.

You can add a small support cube / pillar with the “print as support” option and just manually check for that kind of thing. Not automatic but probably the most efficient option for print time and material.

An option everyone seems to overlook is support roof, which for large flat areas and weird spots like that can be super useful. It basically prints a raft on top of your supports so there’s basically no bridging.

You can also build clever things into the STL if it’s your own model. See this thread. essentially you add very small (.2mm ish) features in Z that will make the slicer bridge instead of print the hole in air.

• cryenOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Thanks, I’ll try the tree supports later.

The thing that’s printing on the preview is the support itself, it’s not the last layer since the roof of the model it’ll need to support is curved, I have the “support roof” setting enabled but it doesn’t come in for 4 more layers.

Model is not mine but I might think about modifying it. But as I said, this part printing & turning in the air is not a part of the model but a generated support underneath.

• fhqwgads@possumpat.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Probably a weird take but if it is just the support that is printing oddly like that I would just let it ride unless it’s something giant that will take a long time, especially if you can keep an eye on it.

Best case scenario it recovers in a couple of layers and you have an ugly support that you throw away anyway. Worst case it curls up and you pause the print and poke it back down or clip it off. If you have to leave it unattended it’s probably best to figure something out though.