So, I will make no secret that I’m rolling my eyes at all of that marketing stuff that goes up every year. But I’ve been thinking, it doesn’t have to be so superficial and pointless. Maybe there’s some rare exception out there that took the opportunity to say or do something meaningful.

Did you come across a company or organisation lately that use the occasion to take some stance beyond feelgood buzzwords or implement a policy internally or in their area of operations that is of at least some importance?

• stevexley@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s easy to bag ‘corporate pride’ for being insincere ( because a lot of if is) but it’s also a sign of general societal acceptance that would provide some reassurance to those who feel surrounded by bigots

• CoderKat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah. It might not be some massive move, but it does mean something. It’s great to see your employer, other possible employers, your local politicians, your municipal services, and even just random businesses that you might use (or not) show that they’re accepting, especially when the status quo is to keep quiet to satisfy bigots.

• RiikkaTheIcePrincess@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Idunno, tolerating our symbology for a month doesn’t mean tolerating us ever. They’re still gonna call me “sir” if I go in there, even if they gave/sold me a shirt with a pride-ified version of their logo on it. I’m not convinced that the filthy rich co-opting our symbols for profit for a moment is really of benefit when it doesn’t actually mean anything.

It’s fully vacuous and may even devalue our symbols, I say. Seems like exploiting us and supporting us would look different.

• chuso@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think the same every time there is criticism of “pinkwashing” and “rainbow capitalism”.
        Yeah, some may be doing it just for profit and as a PR stunt, but it still matters.
        I remember pride parades in London and Brighton were full of corporate floats like those from Deliveroo, Starbucks and National Rail.
        Did they do it just for promotion? OK, maybe. But it still sends the message. A message that says that when you go into a National Rail train or a Starbucks café you can feel safe. And a message that other companies can also join and show that support without fearing that may damage their business with them.
        Unfortunately, those messages are still needed today, so I don’t really care very much if they do it for marketing as long as it still works for the cause.
        If you are going to a bar and see they have tuned their logo to show the pride colors during June, they may be doing it for marketing, but at least you will know you can come in and feel safe there.
        I even saw a float from the Premier League in Brighton and we know how much work is still needed there.