I recently picked up the quick start guide, and so far it looks really cool. I’m hoping to run it sometime in the near future, so I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are on it as a system.

For reference, I’ve played/ran: Pathfinder 3.5, (mainly) DnD 5e, Blades in the Dark, and MoTW.

I hoping to find something that is a little more gritty/punishing at a base setting than DnD, and in which combat is more tactically satisfying. From the QSG it seems FL checks those boxes. If you’ve play/ran a FL game I’d love to hear your thoughts!

• tiberianpun@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve run a few FL campaigns and I love the system and its setting. I’d also suggest checking out Dragonbane as that’s a nice sweet spot between FL levels of punishment (Mages get a pretty raw deal in FL IMO) and D&D.

Dragonbane uses a simple d20 roll under system, character advancement is very organic - a result of its BRP roots, and characters recover Willpower by resting rather than having to find ways to push rolls and risk getting broken all the time. This makes spellcasters a lot more viable than in FL.