• LovecraftianGodsKiller@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

How has your experience been with hyprland on fedora?

Since hyperland is bleeding edge and almost always requires like the latest versions of some packages, did you need to use packages from fedora rawhide, or use an older version of hyprland due to the versioning of hyprland’s dependencies?

What is needed to keep it well maintained? I know there’s a copr repo due to being a package that is too bleeding edge, and assuming you are using the copr repo (that is mentioned on the hyprland wiki), does the hyprland package get updated whenever the dependencies, not including the build dependencies, are updated in the main repo?

I would love to try it out, though I’m an Arch user, but it all depends on what needs to be done prior to installing it, or how much maintenance is required to prevent it from breaking or even just crashing.

• karet@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

So I only switched to Hyprland a few days ago, I was using sway before. There’s a really well maintained copr repo solopasha/hyprland, setting it up only took a few minutes. I’ve had absolutely no issues with it so far, its been really nice. You might have noticed I have an Nvidia graphics card, but I haven’t installed the drivers for it yet, thought I’ll try it out on my Intel integrated graphics first.

Hyprland seems to be well documented, so that’s a nice thing.

Also, when the main repo is updated; on the copr repo they take those changes, build the package using all the updated dependencies and do some basic testing, and push it out to the world.

If you’re an Arch user, I believe the AUR is maintained by the Hyprland developers themselves. So I don’t think you’ll be facing many issues, go ahead and try it out!

• LovecraftianGodsKiller@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I am an Arch user and have been using hyprland on it for a while.

I only asked about how it is on fedora cuz I’ve been considering switching to nobara. The only thing keeping me back is that I love to tinker. I know Arch is the best for that, but I’m considering dual-booting both with Nobara being used for gaming (although I will switch to like kde (x11), or i3 for gaming along with any graphically intense programs due to having an Nvidia card) and just about everythung else but will be keeping arch for whenever I want to like really tinker with something.

Checked out that repo and may have to check it on a computer later.

Thanks a lot!