I am looking for using open source software as much as possible. The posted link is a nice source for open source software for the iphone. Unfortunately there are a lot of apps you have to build. I read that you need mac for this. I own an iphone, ipad and watch but no mac mini or apple laptop. I only have linux and windows. So what would be the lowest budget way to buy a device where i can build those iOS apps? I guess a refurbished or used mac mini? What are the minimum requirements? Do you have recommendations?

• chiisana@lemmy.chiisana.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You could try to run Mac OS in a VM, or build a hackintosh, but other would require you to have access to a Mac to copy a “cd key” to run the os quasi-legally.

I think some cod providers might also offer Mac VM instance, but over time it might be cheapest to just have a refurbished Mac Mini as you’ve identified. I wouldn’t go with an Intel Mac, because the ARM migration is “complete” (I’d say the Mac Pro story isn’t quite done yet but Apple disagrees), so the Intel Macs’ years are limited. So M1 or M2 would be my recommendation. The M series are all in one package and is not user upgradable, so it may be prudent to get the best spec you are comfortable spending on the refurb, such that you get longest product life out of it. Memory is key, and I really like 16GB or more, as everything quickly wants to use more and more RAM. Since I don’t think you’ll be doing lots of AI or gaming on it, the GPU cores matters lesser to you. CPU is mostly fixed, but M series processors run circles around Intel from same power consumption, so I’d be less worried there, too.

Hope this helps and that you find a good system to build apps!

• katzen@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Save a lot of time and hassle by getting a used base model of a Mac that features M1.

Choose a MacBook Air, if you want to be all set quickly.

Choose a Mac mini, if you look for a lower budget and own peripherals already.