Every week there’s a new monster (MOTW) where all the evidence for outsiders disappears, or there’s the mythology where the government is covering it up.

I’m a huge skeptic in almost everything, but if I saw what she saw, I would clearly believe. That’s plenty of evidence for me, and I’m an actual scientist (well PhD engineer. I definitely did real science in school though)

The shit’s clearly real in their universe.

(Sorry, just been watching the first season of the x-files for the past few weeks)

• PetDinosaurs@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Do you remember the 90s? Do you like sci fi?

Anyway, give it a shot. It’s dated, but there’s also nostalgia in it (for me at least).

Edit: the first season (even to the pilot) is good. It changes, but if you like the first few episodes, you’ll like the series.

• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yes to both, though I’ve noticed many of the shows are only watchable because of nostalgia or by following a curated list of important episodes.

Stargate with all the filler episodes in the first seasons is horrible, but actually a great show to binge if you skip them.

Smallville is very boring in the first few seasons when you watch more than one episode.

Buffy is way too sexist for my tastes nowadays. And so on.

But yeah, I’ll give it a try to see if I like it.

• OpenStars@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Buffy is fairly sexist by modern standards, but it was revolutionary for its time to “allow” a hero to be a girl iirc. Similarly Star Trek the OG series put women and minorities behind the ubiquitous white male lead characters - not only Kirk but also his two chief supports Spock and Bones/McCoy. There is a very interesting story behind the actress who portrayed Uhura wanting to not take the job, but being advised by top black leaders to go ahead, bc it was more good than bad to help normalize a black woman being on the screen, even if not fully equal but… closer to that nonetheless. Buffy being a ditzy California gurl was nowhere near enough to achieve equality on its own - and yet Willow and Faith may have helped more, plus Buffy herself as the show went on - but it may have been an important step forward nonetheless (ignoring for the moment whatever was going on behind the scenes at the time).