I grew up in a rural community, began my career as an organizer in small towns, and now lead one of the largest efforts to rebuild pro-democracy, pro-worker civic capacity in rural America. So I can speak with some authority when I say that President Biden, somewhat surprisingly, has ushered in a new economic paradigm that can radically transform the lives of rural people and build a more politically and economically secure future for all Americans.

He calls his agenda “Bidenomics,” a term that will be hotly debated in the months ahead. But what does it mean? And what’s its significance for rural people?

In simplest terms, Bidenomics arguably is the most significant departure in 40 years from the “free market revolution” that rose to dominance in the 1980s — a dramatic alteration to our country’s economic trajectory.

The combination of executive and congressional action since Biden took office — from the American Rescue Plan, to the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, to the CHIPS Act, Inflation Reduction Act and key executive action promoting competition and protecting workers — presents greater potential for revitalizing rural communities than anything since the New Deal. These were huge steps in the right direction, and yet rural people are still struggling. The updated Rural Policy Action Report offers a continued roadmap for how to help rural communities, protect the environment and core freedoms, and renew shared prosperity across geographic divides.

• Omar Khayyám@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

In my experience, the bar for a godsend is very low in rural America. If you are hungry there and a McDonalds is still open, it’s a godsend. If they bring back reruns of Andy Griffith at 3 o’clock on channel 2 it’s a godsend.

• MarigoldPuppyFlavors@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I guess the point of your post is basically “haha rural America”. And yet, after living in several cities one of my biggest goals is to get the fuck out of urban America.

• Zorque@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I think the point is that they consistently vote against their own interests, then fall for the demonization of those trying to help them.

Then when modern convenience falls in their lap because it’s just too economically unfeasible to not bring it to them… they fall over themselves wondering at the minor upgrade in their living conditions.

I’m under no illusion that urban (or even suburban) living doesn’t have downsides… but they pale in comparison to the shit-sandwich that people in rural areas continue to serve themselves.

• betwixthewires@lemmy.basedcount.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Imagine the arrogance to think you know better than someone you’ve never met, who lives their own lives second by second and knows the details of their needs and wants intimately, what’s best for them better than they do. Maybe you should be their dictator.

• Lalaz4@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

As someone who spent their first 20 years living in rural and very rural areas, they didn’t say anything out of line from what I’ve experienced.

Watching your entire community have terrible health, no job opportunities, awful infrastructure, and little to no access to healthy foods while constantly taking every opportunity to stand in opposition to any politician, bill, or outreach program that may help them is hard to understand.

But I can vouch for the fast food remark. When a Burger King opened in the town I was living in, the line was wrapped around the building and holding up traffic on the road during every mealtime. It was like that for weeks. I moved before the hype died down. A Whopper is a luxury when your other choices is what can be had at a Dollar General and a gas station that sells bruised fruit and single potatoes.

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

I agree. Rural people know what they want. They want to get one over on those damn city folk who always make fun of them. Also, they want the benefits of living in a city without paying for it or moving there. Also, they want their damn benefits payments.

• betwixthewires@lemmy.basedcount.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

As someone who’s done it I’ll tell you it’s worth it. Sure, you get some real bumpkins out there. They can be rough but they’re mostly friendly. Some of them are stupid, but that’s anywhere. They’re usually simpler for sure, and the pace is slower, and the rules are more lax, and that can be hard getting used to, but once you’re used to it, no traffic and your amazon packages are still on your doorstep waiting for you.

Just avoid tweaker towns, which is harder than it sounds.

• ilikenoodlez@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

They grow your food and usually make shit you need to survive because they can be taken advantage of. This creates a culture where they don’t always have as much or access to the same things urban dwellers do. What a condescending statement to make.

• laylawashere44@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

They really don’t grow your food most of the time. Corn and Soy are the most grown crops, and 70+ % of either are ground up to feed animals or make biofuels. Biofuels don’t even make economic or environmental sense at all, it’s only created because the government mandates its addition to gasoline and diesel, making both more expensive. That’s 40% of all corn grown literally going up in flames for absolutely no reason other than to subsidize farmers who are overproducing corn.

American farmers also massively overproduce milk too, mostly because they can feed cows the unlimited soy and feed corn available and because the US government will literally buy up all the excess milk (and turn it to cheese and stockpile it) or pay farmers to dump it down the drain to keep the prices up.

And it’s not just milk, soy, and corn that’s overproduced, it’s everything. The amount of agricultural subsidy is insane, and most of it is to keep farmers in business who are growing stuff nobody wants or are growing stuff in areas where the land is so poor that without massive subsidy, there would be no profit, in the first place.

And all of this overproduction is absolutely destroying the environment. Actual cities and towns filled with people doing actually productive things are running short of water because the government insists on keep Joe farmer’s irrigation dependant farm in the goddamn desert in business producing soy beans that are then exported to feed pigs in China. Hell half the time it isn’t even Joe Farmer, it’s Joe Farmer Corp owned by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia who realized growing that same crop in their desert was unsustainable.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

That’s 40% of all corn grown literally going up in flames for absolutely no reason other than to subsidize farmers who are overproducing corn.

They do this because the first primaries of the season are in Iowa, so they want to keep those corn farmers happy or they lose the primary.