For me, since I’ve been 100% remote for 8 years now, I can live pretty much anywhere I want, as long as there’s decent Internet. As my kids all grew up and moved out to live their own lives, I asked myself where I really wanted to live. One was Ecuador, specifically because of the tropical climate combined with high altitude rain forests. The other was the PNW. My partner and I came up to Eugene, OR and did a massive three day tour of Oregon and southern Washington looking for a place to live and finally settled on Eugene, at least to start. Now we live in northern Salem, OR and we absolutely love it here. The climate (bring on the rain!), the overall feeling of the people, the forests and beaches, just all of it really. To be fair, there are definitely still a number of hateful angry people who live in rural areas, which can be problematic, but overall it’s lovely.

What made you move?

• effingnerd@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I moved out here in 2013. The person I was with at the time wanted to get out of the Midwest, and it was between Portland and NYC. I felt that Portland was more my speed, and 10 years and a few relationships later, I’m still stoked with my choice! Making meaningful, long term friendships has been a challenge for this introvert, but I’m happy to be here while I figure that out!

• thunderflies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Portland is awesome, I moved here from the midwest too and and was also considering NYC but the cost was just too high. Hope you’re participating in pedalpalooza!

• thunderflies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Moved here this year after too many years of feeling unsafe being openly gay in public living in the midwest. I was even in a medium sized city but there are just too many small minded backwards people there, my partner and I didn’t even feel safe holding hands in public. Now we’re in the PNW and feel like we can just be normal without constantly worrying that someone will see us “looking gay in public” and react with hostility.

• RufusFirefly@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been to every state and Oregon was always my favorite, so I moved here in 1989. Back then, Portland was a really cool city to live in but that’s changed. I still live in Oregon, just not Portland.

• nobody__none@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I moved to Oregon from the E Coast in 2008 to attend University and also because of the climate (physical and political). I absolutely loved the gloomy Eugene winters, and the cool summers. Lately, however, it hasn’t been the same. For the last three years I was forced to move to Southern Oregon because of work, and loathe the 100+F degree summers (April though October) and the MAGA people. Still, I would never live anywhere else than the PNW. Hopefully soon I can move back to Eugene.

• tallwookie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

was born in aberdeen wa but my folks moved when I was 2 weeks old back in '79, moved back to WA in 2004 - some guys I grew up with lived here so I came to visit and ended up living in WA again.

been thinking about leaving soon though, the taxes, raising rent, and rampant crime have made me feel less than welcome recently. last year or so I’ve been building an RV, using a 1987 Ford Grumman (Kabmaster) base vehicle, go do the vanlfe thing away from cities - drive the path less traveled, etc. one lesson of the pandemic is that remote work is possible anywhere you can get an internet connection, and I do IT work so… time to gtfo. thinking SD or NV to get residency/plates, then live on the road.

there are some really beautiful places in the PNW but you have to have a fair bit of money to live here.

• ZeroDrek@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Cost of living in our home state and we have always loved PDX. My wife wanted to move here for years before we finally decided to do it.

• Cinereus@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Originally from Texas, came up here for school over a decade ago and found the weather, people, and ease of queer existence agreed with me a lot more than Texas did! I do miss the landscape and culture of the southwest but I love the landscape and culture here too.

• Saltycracker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Moved here when I was a kid because of my dads job. Since then I just decided to stay. Love for the outdoors

• IntlLawGnome@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hiking opportunities, the proximity of mountains and sea. I would say weather, but it’s gotten a lot hotter over the past two decades…

• deraji@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hey, North Salem! South Salem here. :)

For me, we moved here from Montana a bit over a decade ago. Interviewed for a job in January, and they asked me if I was still interested, having now experienced the typical dreary 50 degree weather. I explained to them that the HIGH when I left Montana was -20. Like, the day had to work hard to get UP to twenty below.

You don’t realize how many shades of green there are till you spend some time in the PNW. :)