• wishthane@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

What do you think about the argument that it keeps costs down when things are generally getting more expensive? In effect, you might actually still be benefiting from lower prices without ever knowing it.

I don’t know that I always buy this, but I can see the logic of it and I think it may be true sometimes, especially if things are competitive enough that being able to keep your prices down is more beneficial to business than putting the savings straight into profits.

Otherwise I think probably rather than customers seeing direct benefits from lower prices, an attempt to capture more of the excess profits of automation with taxation is needed.

• TokyoCalling@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’d really prefer the taxation method, but I don’t think that’s likely in most countries at the moment. Perhaps at a city level…?

While it certainly is possible that prices are lower than they would have been, I am skeptical. I know some business owners and have not heard this from them. I’d love some solid evidence to point to.