• A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I don’t have a problem with self checkout. It has its place. If you’re just grabbing an item or two, and want to get out quick and not wait in line, or if you are buying something that you may find personally embarrassing, or any of a number of other reasons.

Cashiers also have their place, for when you have larger checkouts and what have you.

What pisses me off is they are firing cashiers, and replacing them with more self checkouts… So you have to take your big monthly load of groceries through self checkout, cause theres no cashier, or worse… one overworked cashier with a huge line.

And its all to have less jobs, less pay checks, and more profits for the C-Suits.

And lets not even get into the fact that its easy for a screw up to happen then some overzealous dickwad comes screaming calling you a thief, and gets you tresspasssed because either you accidentally mis-scanned something or because they THINK you mis-scanned something and thanks to their stupidity you can no longer shop at your local, convenient store.

• beyondthegrave@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Cashiers also have their place, for when you have larger checkouts and what have you.

In my grocery stores they’ve gone so far as making self checkouts with conveyor belts so you can do those large checkouts yourself.

I refuse to use them. If I have a couple small items, then sure self-checkout makes sense. I don’t get cost savings, but I do get the convenience of a speedy checkout; faster than the single express lane they used to have.

But I’ll be damed if I’m going to be a free cashier for them and scan an entire cart load of groceries and get nothing in return. At the very least pay for a bagger, wtf. Those are the real job killers right there.