• glimse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Hey wasn’t Ford started by Henry Ford? It’s an equally relevant question.

Are you a boomer going for some sort of gotcha here or something? Karl Marx could have started Airbnb and it wouldn’t change the situation we’re in now so…what does it matter?

• doublejay1999@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

The point obviously is that the relentless attacks on “boomers” conveniently and consistently leaves out that Gen X and Millennials are the landlording generations, who have grown up with cheap money.

Buy to let didn’t really take off until interests rates fell in the late 90s

But this doesnt fit the narrative, and would leave you looking like fools tricked into fighting a generational war, instead of the criticising government policy like the savvy individuals I’m sure you all are. 👍

• glimse@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

But you’re the one inserting a generational war here, not me.

I was explaining the difference between buying a home in the 80s and buying one now and why boomers DID have it easier in that regard because you made a dumb joke about young people thinking boomers got free houses. Then in response you pulled out some unrelated millennial bullshit…? I didn’t even say BOOMERS held the rentals…I said prior generations weren’t hoarding real estate.

Neither of your replies have addressed the comments you replied to. You just kinda made up an enemy to argue with.

• Deceptichum@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Millennials barely own homes, we have much lower home ownership rates and that’s only dropping more with each subsequent generation.

• agent_flounder@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Who cares? It could’ve been started by anyone but the point remains: airbnb has had a negative influence on housing affordability.