A The Office reboot is reportedly in the works, with the original American showrunner attached to return.

The news about the reboot came in the context of mentioning all the projects and deals that are going to be announced once the writers’ strike officially ends. There’s no word yet on casting.

it would be set in the same overall universe but not necessarily feature the same characters. However, some The Office cast members, including John Krasinski and Mindy Kaling, have expressed they’d be open to revisiting their famous roles if the circumstances were right.

• UrLogicFails@beehaw.orgOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I think that would still be considered a reboot as well (see the iCarly reboot or the new Frasier reboot as examples of reboots that follow the cast some number of years down the line).

I would personally prefer a fresh cast over a continuation, though. With any continuation there are going to be missing cast members who’s absence is felt, which would not be the case with a fresh cast. Additionally a fresh cast gives you room to have a new plot from scratch instead of being constrained to an old show where you have ~10 years of established lore that you need to be careful not to contradict or retread.

Hopefully the show holds up either way, though, as I know there are fans of the original who would be quite disappointed if the quality was poor.