Tensions flared in the House of Commons on Monday over opposition calls for House of Commons Speaker Anthony Rota to resign after apologizing to the House of Commons for inviting, recognizing and leading the chamber in a standing ovation for a man who fought for a Nazi unit during the Second World War.

• streetfestival@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

The controversy exploded over the weekend when it came to light that MPs from all parties, Trudeau and [president of Ukraine] Zelenskky honoured this individual with cheers, salutes and applause.

“We have here in the chamber today a Ukrainian Canadian war veteran from the Second World War who fought for Ukrainian independence against the Russians and continues to support the troops today even at his age of 98,” Rota said on Friday. “I am very proud to say that he is from North Bay and from my riding of Nipissing—Timiskaming. He is a Ukrainian hero and a Canadian hero, and we thank him for all his service.”

I think this issue raises how complex political history is more than anything. And, yeah, MPs should probably have more guidance with this stuff. “Speaker invites Nazi” seems so ‘gotcha!’ without learning anything from the incident

• ThankYouVeryMuch@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Lol ‘Ukrainian who fought the Russians in wwII’ automatically makes him most likely a nazi, the political history is not complex at all here, they should have checked. I can’t believe they didn’t know.