That’s a recent quote from Reddit’s VP of community, Laura Nestler. Here’s more of it: This week, Reddit has been telling protesting moderators that if they keep their communities private, the company will take action against them. Any actions could happen as soon as this afternoon.

• Piers@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The second problem is that the API changes that Reddit has imposed will make content moderation ever more difficult due to the loss of automated tools that help. People are going to bring up reddit’s promise to bring moderating tools to the mobile app or to improve moderation tools in general, this is most certainly an empty promise and even if fulfilled they will do the absolute bare minimum.

r/ZeroWaste has had to close comments due to spam comment-bots promoting a retail website that the built in tools cannot deal with. Since they can no longer use the third party tools they rely on to handle issues like that they’re just not able to operate the sub anymore and are recommending their users visit !zerowaste@lemmy.ml instead.

the new moderators won’t really be put to the test until they have to deal with a large scale bot attack, either coordinated or uncoordinated.

That same ZeroWaste post claimed that as of 17 hours ago SpambotSwatter had a 200k+ backlog in theeir span detection system. The sharks were already circling the water waiting for the defences to drop. I suspect there will be a big increase in spam through this weekend. The question is what that will lead to? Will Reddit magically produce a way to fill in for the lost functionality and solve the issue? Will the flood of disruptive comments just be accepted as the new normal? Will it cause enough disruption to otherwise uninterested users to drive an unignorable level of people kicking up a fuss or just dropping their usage?

I suspect it’ll be the worst possible outcome but I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

Edit: by worst possible outcome I mean worst possible outcome for Reddit’s username not for Reddit as a business sadly.

• Liempong_pagong@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

And you just convinced me to delay my reddit account deletion by 1 week.

I must watch this with my own eyes, no matter what.