That’s a recent quote from Reddit’s VP of community, Laura Nestler. Here’s more of it: This week, Reddit has been telling protesting moderators that if they keep their communities private, the company will take action against them. Any actions could happen as soon as this afternoon.

• WhiteTiger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

undefined> I disagree that it was harder to sign up for.

You are correct, and I misspoke. By ‘harder to sign up for’ I was referring to not just the actual sign up process, but the steps involved before the actual sign-up process (deciding on an instance, which itself requires learning what ‘instance’ means, as well as at least some research into what federation is, and what the differences are between instances).

• Piers@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That I can relate to. It definitely slowed me down a little when I was looking at trying Lemmy out. I think with all of those sorts of concerns it is inevitable that there will be better and better support for making the onboarding process as easy as possible as time goes on. What sort of resource do you think would have made getting into Lemmy easiest for you?

• WhiteTiger@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

What I’ve seen others recommend, and I think would have helped, is the ability to ‘port’ to another instance. So it can just be “Go create an account at lemmy.ml. Don’t worry about the instance, we can always port later if you want”.

I know now it doesn’t really matter (and have accounts with all the big instances) but I agonized over what instance to join at the beginning because I didn’t KNOW it didn’t really matter.

The ‘port’ ability also seems like something that is just a good idea in general, so I believe that to be the best option (that I’ve seen).