• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

In this scenario who cares? The real issue is the kid was being bullied. Schools need to stop that as much as possible.

I have heard people say it’ll make them stronger but in the work force, they would get sued for allowing bullying behavior.

• devil_d0c@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

Woah, no one here said anything about bullying being good for the kid. The article doest even mention the reason for the bullying, but it claims that the school didn’t do enough/anything to address it.

My surprise came from a 3rd grader self-identifying as “non-binary”. I’ve never heard that term come from a child, only ever from adults and in academic settings.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 年前

It’s not hard to guess the kid is weird, which is why they were bullied. It is an assumption, but I think it’s a fair assumption.

I suspect the parents told them they were non-binary. When I was in third grade, I wanted to be a cat. Hell, if my parents told me I could be one, I might have thought I was a cat.

Instead, they told me to play with my transformers and stop being weird.

• devil_d0c@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 年前

Honestly, my heart goes out to the kid. I had some very “weird” (read: abusive) parents growing up, and I suppose that was about the age I figured it out.

Mine would make up medical problems and constantly pull me out of class and lied to me about not having a middle name for years and years before we went to live with my older brother at 16 (little bro came too, he was 14).

Circa 2004ish I tried to reach out to my HS counselor about being bullied. She offered to do mediation between me and the bully, that made things much worse.

• Neuromancer@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 年前

Same here.

I’ve always heard the argument it’ll toughen them up. I just think it’s abusive.

I know we can’t make a life free of bullying but we should try to minimize it.