• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

No. We’re sick of subsidizing suburbanites, like we have been for the last 80 years. Get with the times, or live in the country and leave your car at the edge of town.

• jmp242@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I mean this is kinda the point. No one with a car wants to go into a downtown with no parking. And as people have figured out WFH, and way more people need to lower costs and stop paying so much for food. And shopping without a car is a PITA, I did it a couple times in college. Completely unworkable to go shopping once a week. I don’t want to spend my life daily going to the store. And now you can get everything delivered. So shopping is down to ‘event shopping’ like Macys at Christmas. Similarly for eating out, no one is looking to spend 40 for 2 at a subway. So if you’re spending lots of dollars you might splurge rarely and only go to high end restaurants killing off diners etc.

And people still find all this cheaper than living in cities. The rent and all other costs have been out of reach for decades. So like so much else, people need lower prices which seems unlikely, much higher wages, also unlikely, or cities continue to hollow out.

• SoylentBlake@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

It’s not even the first time cities have hollowed out.

“Will the last one leaving please turn off the lights”

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I’ll just park at the big park and ride lot at the edge of town…oh wait, there aren’t any.

• Solar Bear@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

You’ve correctly identified the weakness in our infrastructure. Now, let’s push to get it done, yeah?

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

That sounds great until I start thinking about how to make it happen in a country where so much of the political and economic power is controlled by interests that are actively hostile to anything that would improve the lives of normal people.

• Solar Bear@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Nobody said it was easy, but the alternative is give up and die. Personally, I’m too spiteful to accept that.

• ninjakitty7@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Making cities even more anti-human hellscapes is why nobody wants to be in a city in the first place. There needs to be MORE of the things you want to get rid of. You’ll be more likely to visit their diner if walking past the diner, and the cafe, and the pub is a pleasant experience. Local business dies when places become destinations spread out by a concrete mile of car infrastructure because you can’t window shop from a car. Other countries figured it out a long time ago.

• bluGill@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

If you drive downtown is not the place for you. Once you figure out how to take a bus (which may not even be possible, and often is harder than it should be!) downtown can be a nice place .