Not my OC but what I’ve believed for years: there’s no conflict between reducing your own environmental impact and holding corporations responsible. We hold corps responsible for the environment by creating a societal ethos of environmental responsibility that forces corporations to serve the people’s needs or go bankrupt or be outlawed. And anyone who feels that kind of ethos will reduce their own environmental impact because it’s the right thing to do.

Thoughts?

• enkers@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I don’t know, I think to some degree I agree with their gotcha. Of course their alternative of “why even do anything?” is very different from mine: Why, in the age of the internet does this meeting even need to be in person? Host a virtual event. Now maybe it comes out that the logistics of that would be even worse, but it seems like a reasonable consideration.

In any case, if we do accept that it is in fact necessary, then that should be sufficient justification.

because they aren’t personally holding up to whatever standard you want to hold them up to

No, I’m suggesting that people need to be more willing to examine their own actions and do what they think they are capable of. I don’t know their circumstances, so only they can be a judge of what they are capable of. But to say that they don’t have to make any changes because they hypothetically support a policy that would restrict their own actions is disingenuous at best.