• query@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

In 2003, the World Wide Web was still in its infancy. Dial-up connections were still the default and YouTube, Facebook, and Gmail had yet to be invented.

I’d argue it had reached its prime. Websites were just websites then, not data harvesting machines.

• whynotzoidberg@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Maybe the content reached its peak, but I’d argue we are in a better place now UX-wise.

Full disclosure: I type this from a network running pihole. Flashing banner ads to other people’s blogs were definitely better than todays adverts — and I’m looking at you, most recipe sites.

• verysoft@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Nononono, UX is fucking terrible at the moment, if you said this somewhere like 10-15 years ago I would probably agree with you, but everything is designed to serve ads and be as functionless as possible these days.

• ares35@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

2003 was also littered with browser toolbars, animated gif ads, scam links, popups, adware, viruses and worms, and purple apes. gotta go back another 10 years to get to the ‘websites were just websites’ era.

• snooggums@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Oh, so the stuff that is built into the browser and social media apps now instead of requiring you to use an add on bar.

• bfg9k@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

You forget how long sites took to load over 33.6k, and how limited your options were for email before Gmail became popular. Free email plans were measured in megabytes, and you could only send like 200k worth of attachments per message.

• zerbey@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Plenty of people had broadband, I was one of the first to get it in 1998. A whole 512Kbit.

• Ebby@lemmy.ssba.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

In 1999, I had a 25mbps asymmetrical static IP for $25/month from a new technology called a cable modem. It rocked. I could download faster than the local school/college that was still using T1 lines.

They clamped down hard on upload speed when torrents became popular. If I recall, my IP was 72.45.27.220 back then. I ran websites, file servers, streamed my music library, and used QuickTime broadcaster to stream TV/VHS so I could watch videos while in class.

• zerbey@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

No cable modems where I lived. I worked for an ISP and we’d order fire alarm circuits then just put SDSL routers on them instead. Up to 2Mbit speeds depending on how far from the exchange you lived, I was only able to get 512Kbit reliably. We were selling them to customers at a nice markup for a profit.

British Telecom wised up to it a few years later when they started marketing ADSL themselves and started filtering our traffic, but for a few years it was a super cheap way to get broadband if you had the know how.

• HidingCat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Yea, infancy? Been using it for at least 6 years by then, it’s hardly infancy.

Were dial-up connections default still? I had been on cable for two years by then.

• pruwyben
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

With a limited budget of just $800, nearly half of which was spent on a leather jacket

Lol