What’s your opinion on Apple’s googles?

It does nothing new but seems to be very polished. I’m not sure it’s worth 3.5k $.

• P1r4nha@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

On a technical level nothing too special and a bit disappointing. To be honest it’s just too many sensors and especially weight for XR/AR. IMHO only Apple fanatics will be caught with it in public.

But it will be helpful for the market as the VR/XR market is growing and maturing. People who have never thought about the topic might consider it now. Gaming might no longer be the only vertical that makes sense.

It’s definitely going to help more established or cheaper players.

Nevertheless: Apple wins already now in terms of ecosystem and UX, as they usually do and this will shape the whole market and impact all the players in the market.

An AVP2 will be smaller, more lightweight and better targeted at the usecases Apple sees an interest in. That will be a lot more interesting.

• haenibosh@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it does something new: integrating a virtual, single person display with a computer. They might be not a new kind of display for the computer you have, but an alternative to having a MacBook. Still pricey, but from that perspective less absurd.

• dwt@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Probably, but from my research all existing headsets suck at rendering text crisply everywhere and at all sensible sizes. That totally broke the usecase for me - till now.

• Kissaki@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m not informed about it.

How does it compare to the Valve Index (for 1.080 €)?

Does it do anything better or differently?

I’m certainly skeptical it’ll be of interest to me due to the technical accessibility and price - of the Apple brand in general, and I expect this to be no different.

Looking at Wikipedia

The Vision Pro is a standalone device that runs visionOS, a derivative of iOS designed for extended reality software and controlled via motion gestures, eye tracking, and voice input.

Yeah, I have no interest. I don’t think it’s a useful product in terms of resource use and price. That won’t stand in the way of people buying it though. The price is high enough and the brand brandy enough that Apple will make it work and it’ll be worth it for them.

• nodiet@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It does have a ridiculously high resolution, which paired with dynamic foveated rendering could mean super sharp visuals. The display is also uoled and it has pancake lenses. Essentially, if it was able to connect to a PC for pcvr and didn’t have the apple price markup it would be my dream VR headset.