I mostly use c:geo, which shows caches that a free Geocache account on the official app won’t, except Premium-only caches, which are designated by the cache owner. (That is to say, the official Geocache app won’t show free accounts caches above a certain difficulty/terrain, but you can find them online, and there’s no way at all for a free account to find premium-only caches.)

I’m sure most of you already knew that though. For those of you who currently pay for premium or have paid in the past, did you think it is/was worth it? $40 USD a year doesn’t seem like that much, but I’m mostly against all kinds of subscription models across the board. I’ve been told that a majority of caches are Premium-only, but I have no way to determine if there are a significant number of Premium-only caches around me, so I can’t make any informed decisions in that regard.

So, what are your thoughts? Worth buying, or worth sticking to a free account?

• fung@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

My partner pays for the Premium service. We go geocaching together all the time, I’d say it’s worth it. Lame subscription model aside, it’s pretty cheap entertainment and it gets us outside.

We don’t subscribe in the winter so it’s only a few months a year we need to pay for.

• Phlogiston@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Personally, I’ve paid for it the last few years. But Geocaching is my main hobby, so it’s easily a worthwhile investment.

I get being against subscriptions out of principle though. I cached for years without paying for it. In my area only about 1/3 of caches are premium only, but that might be completely different in another part of the world

• Phlogiston@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Even if you don’t pay have the subscription, you can look premium caches up on the website using a direct link, e.g. coord.info/GC7B6F0. You need to have the geocode (“GC7B6F0”) for that, though. Not sure about logging, but I think you should even be able to do that.