• Ren_Rosemary@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Right now the #1 alternative is Odysee. While Odysee itself is a centralized company its just as open sourced front end for the decentralized LBRY block chain.

As of now Odysee has far more videos, features, and download speeds then any other YouTube alternative.

If you’re interested in supporting an alternative I reccomend downloading the “watch on odysee” extension which redirects YouTube videos that areavailible on Odysee, to Odysee. (Firefox) (Chrome)

• Bazzatron@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I guess you have to pick your poison.

Personally I can’t think of a single traditional value worth preserving and I’ve got nothing worth conserving - given the pollution of the right that modern day corruption has completed, I’ll stick to the lesser, at least until I can’t dodge advertising anymore.

• bankimu@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I think you’re going by the English meaning of “conservative”. The word is badly chosen, because I don’t think they really are traditionalists. Probably “capitalist” would be a better fit. And paradoxically there are many things I find the “progressives” want to do which are in fact regressive. It’s a bit confusing and I think names should be changed to something else if it were up to me. Words have power, and words like “progressive” and “woke” have positive connotations while “conservative” has negative connotation which is sad; they don’t even apply anymore to the groups or ideas they represent.

• Bazzatron@reddthat.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Yes, you’re right about the English definition - talking politics is difficult in a global forum because of these strange idiosyncrasies.

I do try to use the language flatly, avoiding emotive words where possible. It’s interesting you say that “woke” has positive connotations, as I think the Republican🇺🇲 and Conservative🇬🇧 crowds have been using that word as something approaching a slur!

When I say “conservatism” I am strictly referring to the definition in the dictionary or the wiki. I feel like the UK Tory party is definitely following a more anarcho-capitalist expression of the ideology, but their trans exclusionary rhetoric does have the air of “traditional” CoE values around it. In the states, the creeping in of a Christian flavoured version of Sharia law is an interesting development under a lib president, as I would consider this an expression of conservatism.

Personally, I think the connotations that the term conservatism has earned over the last hundred years are well earned, especially as the core values of conservatism seem to be somewhat nebulous. Ultimately we can only judge by the totally flawed implementation of the system that we have - just as we have judged Communism to be a totally unworkable and flawed system by studying the facist regimes of Russia and China as examples - despite the similarities between communism and what the USSR/CCP were/are being almost nil; though this is probably what you were driving at with your closing statement! 😅

• Ren_Rosemary@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

If you don’t like it, then fork the and start your own curated version of Odysee. That’s the beauty of federated software.

And while yes in its current state the userbase is pretty toxic; that’s the price to pay when you have a platform with total free speech. The early adopters are always going to be the ones who rely on it the most (unsavory individuals). However this is no argument against free speech in the same way that criminals being the first ones to adopt privacy related projects, is no argument against privacy.

• BeliefPropagator
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There’s PeerTube I guess but all the videos are already on YouTube soo…

• andreluis034@lm.put.tf
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Considering how big and relevant YouTube is, I don’t see it getting replaced by PeerTubr. The alternative at the moment are apps like ViewTube which is a custom front-end for YouTube that removes all the ads and tracking

• Bazzatron@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Have we got any reps from ReVanced over here yet? It’s not a federated or decentralised approach, but it at least removes the layer of scum enveloping YouTube.

• Mawius@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I suggest NewPipe, I never tried ReVanced, but NewPipe probably has the same features if not more, i find it quite good