The landed gentry are only in charge until the king comes to town and chops off a few heads. At least that seems to be the case at Reddit, where CEO Steve Huffman pretended his complaints about current moderators — who were protesting his decision to effectively cut off API access to tons of useful…

• TeoTwawki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sure is funny how reddit wasn’t concerned with with mobs having to much power or enforcing any code till it affected the snowflake admin

• Ryumast3r@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not just “not concerned”, it was literally their formal position that mods owned the subs that they modded. You couldn’t remove a mod for anything except breaking TOS or for being inactive. If the mod was active and not actively breaking TOS then reddits response has ALWAYS been “if you don’t like the way the sub is being handled, make your own sub and let the free market sort out whether yours or theirs is better”.

They held that position since the founding of reddit and it was as fundamental to the platform as the ability to create your own instance with your own rules is here on Lemmy. Right up until it was starting to get in the way of the CEOs big IPO payday.

• catwhowalksbyhimself@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And that is exactly why I am here now. I didn’t care that much for the API protests at all. Thought they were pointless. But this behavior meant that they were violating the very thing the made reddit, reddit. If subs weren’t spaces that anyone could use to try to carve out their own communities, then what is the point?

Furthermore, they aren’t even violating the code of conduct they are using to do this, so clearly all of Reddit’s promises are now worthless.

• assassin_aragorn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is why all the “fuck the mods I’m with the admins” folks are so short sighted. The only reason bad mods can exist is because the admins won’t remove them. They’re fine with bigotry and power abuse. The current mods are just a sacrificial lamb