The landed gentry are only in charge until the king comes to town and chops off a few heads. At least that seems to be the case at Reddit, where CEO Steve Huffman pretended his complaints about current moderators — who were protesting his decision to effectively cut off API access to tons of useful…

• mo_ztt ✅@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So I generally agree with you on (a), but I do like to just try stuff and measure how well it works, and sometimes I get surprised. I did try (b) also, and I actually had a pretty hard time sorting out where to post where my promotional posts wouldn’t instantly be removed, how to post in a way that made it clear I’m here to sell my stuff without being overbearing about it, etc. I actually did figure it out eventually and had some level of success with it in terms of people engaging with my stuff, but it didn’t lead to any sales (for the short time I did it). I mean, it makes sense. Most people don’t read a post and come away from it with the idea “I gotta run out and buy that thing!”

Some subreddits actually specifically say that if you want to advertise your stuff, that’s what ads are for. I’ve got no problem with either paying for advertising or just being honest about what I’m there for; mostly I just care that it works, which is far as I can tell reddit’s ads didn’t for me.

• Holyginz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Honestly, advertising on the internet is a big cluster fuck. It isn’t like how cable was where it used to he organic and clever. It’s just shoved into people’s faces wherever, whenever and however the advertisers possibly can. Of course no one wants to see ads and uses ad blockers. I dont care how interested I was in an article if I go to read it and the page is littered with ads I’m leaving and never visiting the site again.