The landed gentry are only in charge until the king comes to town and chops off a few heads. At least that seems to be the case at Reddit, where CEO Steve Huffman pretended his complaints about current moderators — who were protesting his decision to effectively cut off API access to tons of useful…

• rookie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Google right there alongside, going from useful results to sponsored ads and replacing the useful basic sections in their nav bar (i.e. “News”) to whatever random categories their algorithm thinks fit your query.

Honestly, I’m worried that people will be put off by extra level of complexity but I really hope the fediverse takes off, this feels like the only part of the internet moving the right direction at the moment.

• PoetSII@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My 2¢

Lemmy will never be ‘reddit’. The simple act of having to choose an instance (and taking the time to understand instances + how they interact with one another, something even I’m not crystal clear on) is not something your average Joe Schmo will be willing to spend the time on. Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, etc are all one massive endlessly scrolling feeds of ‘content’ whereas lemmy asks you to dedicate your account to one instance. You can make another account of course, but even the process of choosing an instance will be enough to stifle growth and keep lemmy smaller in the long run, in my estimation.

Wether that’s a good or bad thing depends on how you view the internet and what you want from it, to me it’s a little of both because I bet I won’t see any of the niche communities I subbed to on reddit pop up here for a good long while (ex a community for the model of car I own, smaller videogames, hobby work, etc). But also it means that there will be less low-effort content - theoretically. You win some you lose some, I’m interested to see the state of both Reddit and Lemmy in a year from now.

Also hey its my first comment ever

• BlueCollarRockstar@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I agree that the extra step of having to choose an instance is a hurdle that will turn some people away. In my own experience with it I had to apply to the first one I tried to join (never got a reply), had a timeout on the second one, and didn’t successfully create an account until my third attempt. That’s more effort than some would be willing to put forth.

However I really don’t think the confusing nature of the Fediverse is that big of a deal. I don’t think I understand it at all, and it doesn’t seem like I need to for now. Download Jerboa, make account, switch feed from ‘Local’ to ‘All’, and oh look it’s basically my RIF experience again.

Over and over on Reddit I saw people say “Lemmy will never take off because it’s too confusing for average users,” but I just don’t think that’s the case.

Also hey it’s also my first comment ever

• Paradox@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

People have had no problem choosing email providers.

A few dominant servers will emerge, just like with Gmail, and there may even be an ebb and flow of what the dominant ones are (remember @aol emails?). But it seems to already be hitting the magical critical mass of adoption. Will be interesting to see if it continues

• DrMario@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Sure it will put off some users, but those are the lowest effort type of users anyway. I think most people who were online enough to be heavy reddit posters will not have much of an issue grasping how Lemmy works

• ABCDE@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It needs everyone to be part of it. I’m no idiot (arguably), but I still don’t quite get why I need an account for Kbin and for Lemmy and… just to use it properly. The concept was that I needed one account which linked to everything, yet that’s not the case. I’m in the process of deleting all my reddit posts with Power Delete Suite and it’s taking a while, but this needs to be better if it wants to get people like myself (and those who aren’t so tech-savvy) across.

• DrMario@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Maybe I’m the one confused here, but you shouldn’t need a kbin account. You can subscribe and post to kbin communities just like you can to other Lemmy instances

• a253040@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Once people come around to it being reddit but the accounts look and feel more like email, it’s going to take off (or continue to). It’s not such a great feat that it’ll be insurmountable for average internet users.

Ultimately, if the content is here, people will follow.

• dchen4@aussie.zone
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I don’t think one need a good idea of what an instance is to use lemmy. It js just like reddit but without reddit mods and decentralized.

By easing the access through abstracting some of the more complicated ideas like instance but focus on the aggregated part, it is possible for your regular people to access.

• chon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s early days. Who knows? Maybe in a year or two, when the Federation aspect is a bit more developed, we’ll have a seamless, less fragmented experience.

In my case, whenever I tell one of my friends about Lemmy, they feel like they’re going to be isolated on their own little island (instance), and that they’ll probably be missing out on a livelier community somewhere else. This misconception is probably the result of relying on centralized platforms for decades. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but Reddit is the perfect example of what can go wrong when you put all your eggs in one basket.

I had better luck showing them the Memmy app in action. Hope they join the community soon.

• theragu40@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I totally agree regarding Google. I work in IT and the entire reason I got into my career is because I grew up with Google and I was good at it.

Google’s search results suck now. It’s actually incredible how much clutter and algorithmic nonsense it shovels at you now instead of legitimate results. Once there became companies that specialized in SEO, it was just a race to the bottom and now it’s all bots fighting for the search rankings instead of real content.