• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I never said it was necessarily art for arts sake, simply that they’re creative endeavors that should be done by humans. It’s a human endeavor that loses it’s meaning if the creative aspects are automated. And I would argue that’s something that should be valued and protected. Be it avengers 900 or high concept indie art house stuff that’s only going to be seen by 5 people.

We live in a capitalist system so I feel it’s a bit unfair to say that significant films were made with a profit motive in mind. It’s the system we live in and many things are made with profit in mind. It’s how our society is structured. I’m sure if you asked many of the creative staff on film sets if they’d rather be pursuing their passions in a more “pure” form than doing emoji movie 2 or some other profit driven shitfest they would all say yes. Instead of conceding to capital and putting more money in the pockets of people who have no positive influence on the production of movies, why don’t we ask why we’re even considering letting computers do creative and artistic work while the rest of us toil in soul sicking jobs that would be better suited to machines?