• Ubermeisters@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

You’re thinking with your heart, which isn’t going to work for the world. Companies can save money with it so it’s inevitable. We need to learn how to make it less damaging. There’s no sense spinning our Wheels trying to stop it from happening because we can’t.

• Whimsical@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

You ask me, it’s like the great quarantine to try and slow down covid

The idealists were hoping to stamp it out entirely but the reality was that covid was everywhere, and would inevitably become part of life. Quarantining served to make sure hospitals weren’t overwhelmed (or rather, weren’t MORE overwhelmed) until a vaccine could be made to try and get things under control

In the same vein, it makes sense to me to try and stifle AI stuff hopefully long enough to push for UBI and other social safety nets, so that when the lid comes completely off pandora’s box, the damage to people’s lives is mitigated and the benefits from the tech can be enjoyed in better conscience

• Phil_in_here@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Did you not read my comment? Companies could make way more money without regulation; it’s a huge (shortsighted) right-wing talking point. But we can and have regulated them to stop abuses for profit. To say there’s nothing we can do about the use of AI is like opposing minimum wage at its inception because companies are going to limit their expenses in any way they can and there’s nothing we can do to stop them.