• MuhammadJesusGaySex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

You say people are stealing to resale these items like that is just a normal job prospect. People don’t steal unless in a serious situation or mental illness period, full stop.

What would it take for you to wake up in the morning and decide to steal a bunch of stuff and try to resell it? How desperate would you have to be? What makes you think these people are any different?

When people are safe, comfortable, happy, healthy, all needs are met, and some of their wants they don’t resort to desperate measures. The theft is merely a symptom of the bigger issue.

• thrashpipe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

“People don’t steal unless in a serious situation or mental illness period, full stop.”

How do you know this?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Because I’ve done it. Usually the ones stealing the stuff aren’t even the ones selling it. But, when you don’t have money and the only way to get your fix is to steal a list of stuff, you’ll do it.

No sane person wakes up and says “I have everything I need, and I feel safe and comfortable. So, time to go risk my freedom and future to start the day!” It just doesn’t happen.

Sure you have those outliers. You know, the house wife with plenty, but she steals for a thrill, but those aren’t the people stealing to sell either.

• antizero99@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Damn son. That’s not how that works and not what I am talking about.

It’s not the theft for need that is shutting these stores down. It’s the theft rings that pay people pennies on the dollar to steal shit because that is easier than getting a real job. These goods are then resold on the “black market” or used to make drugs like meth.

You claim you did it to survive. I don’t actually believe that you stole anything more than someones hat and you are definitely extremely naive to the world around you.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

Check my history, you’ll see that I make no secret about having been a homeless heroin addict for over a decade. I went through over 5 years of methadone treatment, but I finally weaned myself off of that too by slowly decreasing my dose over time.

I’ve been completely sober now for about 2 years. Don’t clap it sucks, and it’s not by choice. I can’t find anything that makes me feel good except heroin, and I’m not doing that again.

Hell, it’s 5:14 am as I’m typing this, and the only reason I’m awake is because my partner still goes to the clinic, and I have to drive them every morning, 7 days a week, because they won’t stop smoking weed.

My best friend from the age of 6 died from an overdose 8 years ago, and I’m now raising his kid as well as my own, and if you do the math that means I was still an addict when I came into their life, but got in treatment soon after. But nah. I’m just full of shit. I don’t know anything about that. The scars that trace the veins in the backs of my hands must be my imagination.

I joke around about a lot of things, but desperation, and the stories about people I’ve known are all true.

Edit: Stealing wasn’t my main go to. I made it a point to look super respectable, and would beg. I used to could look like a very nice guy. But I absolutely have done it when I was at my worst.

I posted a comment mentioning it 4 days ago.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I agree wholeheartedly. The opiate epidemic is insane in America. Rather than treat our addicts. We’ve chosen as a society (in America) to demonize them and let them die out.

• antizero99@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Did you grow up in a convent?

I said nothing about it being a job prospect.

Go touch some grass and learn how the world actually works, then get back to us.