When we used reddit, and you found a link on Google or in an email that went to reddit.com, it would open up that link in Boost. Same for the email notifications when you got an inbox message or a comment reply - following the link opened up your inbox in Boost, not your web browser.

Since there are an almost infinite number of instances to match the URL for, is this behaviour just not possible with Lemmy, by the nature of the fediverse?

I think I remember Android having a manual option to set default apps for certain links, so I’m going to try and set Boost the default app for links starting with my home instance. Not sure if Boost will necessarily understand the links though and how to process it…

• Rootiest@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

AFAIK, it’s complicated.

Check out this app which works for Sync so I’m sure could also support Boost in the future.

It requires adb (or root) to initially configure it but it’s an easy one-line adb command and from then on it updates a list of supported instances and automatically handles intent redirects to your preferred app. They also have one for Mastodon.

• Otter@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

You need a separate app to handle it, look for “Lemmy Redirect” on fdroid. I haven’t set mine up yet, but it looks like it supports Boost now as well

• CPU@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

It’s already possible, no additional apps required, but you have to enable it manually because Boost doesn’t own all those domains.

Go to Boost’s app info -> Open by default -> Add link, then choose the instances that you want to use Boost to open.

• topher@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s close, but not as elegant as it was in Boost for reddit.

Now the links open in Boost, but Boost is reduced to an android webview around the interface of my instance, instead of rendering the interface (loading inbox, displaying comments, etc) in Boost like it used to.

• CPU@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Yeah, looks like it only works if the link is to a post or community, but not the front page of an instance.