It’s not the kids, not the lurkers, not the mods… y’all just nice people. Lemmy’s got a good vibe going… or at least enough windows that we can close if the vibe gets shit.

• croobat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it’s just survivorship bias, kinda like mastodon. The people inclined to come here are probably anti-corporate, and sick of current social media’s bullshit.

• CthuluVoIP@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the barrier to entry also helps a bit. The folks willing to put up with the rough edges that Lemmy has are also likely willing to participate with the intent of making Lemmy a success rather than just “hangers on” as it were. With a 1600% growth in “active” user population, there are definitely a ton of lurkers, yet. Once it becomes more approachable, we’ll see if the community feeling that Lemmy has begins to tarnish and fade as the volume of interaction and content rises.

• Ulu-Mulu-no-die@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I was thinking the same, especially after seeing several posts “demanding” Lemmy to change this and change that.

I mean, that’s not to say there’s no room for improvements, but if the first thing some people do when going to a new platform is wanting changes to meet their personal way of doing things, instead to try and adapt first to how the platform works and learn from it, in my opinion it means those people are not really interested in being here and make lemmy succeed, they’re just following the “flavor of the month” and won’t last long here anyway.

I think the fediverse being not so intuitive might be a very good thing actually, it can act as a sort of filter so it doesn’t succumb to the masses ruining everything, hopefully.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Sometimes I worry I might be being too snobby by thinking it’s a good thing there’s a small barrier to entry here, but the quality of the discourse is SO much better than Reddit it’s hard to argue with the results.

• the_inebriati@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I have been thinking this over the past week on reddit every time I see a “Lemmy/Kbin needs to sort out X, Y and Z otherwise it’s going to fail massively.” or “Lemmy/Kbin is impossibly hard to use/sign up for”. Usually with CAPITAL LETTERS and emojis.

Like… ok. I don’t think you’ll be missed with that attitude. At least for the time being.

• gornar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah “having a future” is always under the lens of “marketable/corporate profits” anyway. Some people don’t understand that sometimes, humans just want to build nice things because they want to!

• samus12345@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

If a person if truly interested in moving to a place with better discourse, they’ll make the effort. If not, they should stay on Reddit.

• To be fair, I had some of those complaints with the instances initially being linked. It clicked when RIF linked to Lemmy.World in its final update message. It didn’t have dumbass hoops to go through, just a straight forward email, username, password, you’re in system like the first few things I was seeing. That and many people were over explaining it and just confusing the hell out of people.

• croobat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Totally agree, it’s amazing how many people can be discouraged by a small bump over the road. Kinda like how free mobile games have millions of downloads but games that are like, a dollar, are lucky if hit a thousand (and the gap in quality is astounding most of the time).

• icepuncher69@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The barrier isnt that high in my opinion at least. Its just signing up to any instance in lemmy and thats it. I choose shitjustworks cuz they seemed level headed and i heard some nasty rumors about some of the other bigger lemmy instances so that was another factor on it i guess.

• Chucklin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ll admit I like having a pretty interface to interact with so I hesitated to make my account until I found Connect for Lemmy. Looks nice and easy to get used to

• kratoz29@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m just here because of Reddit dick move, not that I hate all companies, the transition was quite nice that is to projects like https://wefwef.app and the upcoming Sync for Lemmy!

• cazyius@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m excited about the fact that people who are anti-corporate usually are the same people that will moderate and build community for free just because they want to be a part of something bigger than themselves. If all content creators and moderators find their home here Reddit will only have takers and lurkers left!

I know I’m being naive but I’m enjoying my little dream of utopia 😄